Inspiration in Action by Deb Blum
Inspiration: Instead of seeking outside of ourselves, we need to go to the source and realize who we really are. ~Deepak Chopra’s 8-Week Happiness Series (Week 3, Authentic Self-Esteem)
Action: Ask yourself: “What void is so big in my life that I am trying to fill it with external possessions, accomplishments, status symbols, titles, etc.?”
Happiness that is tied to external “things” is temporary. It can go away at any moment. Because of this, it leaves us feeling unstable and insecure. Finding true, sustaining happiness comes from within. It is a journey towards knowing, accepting and loving yourself. You have a physical body, a personality, and your essence (your core self, spirit, soul, highest self, etc). You ARE your essence and your essence is beautiful and loving no matter how much money you have, how beautiful you are, or what your job title is.
- Each time you get excited about something outside of your self – a thing, an accomplishment, a compliment – ask yourself what void it is filling.
- Notice yourself looking towards others for their opinions and then forming your thoughts, beliefs and opinions based on them. Ask yourself what YOUR opinion is. Check in with yourself, ask yourself how YOU feel. What do YOU want?
- From Deepak Chopra’s 8-Week Happiness Series, look in the mirror, make eye contact with yourself and silently repeat the following:
- I am totally independent of the good or bad opinion of others.
- I am beneath no one, and no one is beneath me.
- I am fearless in the face of all challenges.